Pages

Sunday 30 November 2014

Day 30

Let's see...30 days has September, April, June and NOVEMBER.  Here I am at the end of my first month of Living Well, and it's fantastic, after a slightly dodgy 2014, to finally be on my way to better health.  It has zoomed along, as time does at this time of year, so indulge me in a brief James Brown impersonation, 'I feeeeeeeel good.'

I come from a long line of insomniacs, it's been handed down in my particular little parcel of DNA.  My mum loved nothing more than a spot of ironing in the wee hours, which meant she was always on top of the ironing, and she always knew exactly what time I got home.  I don't iron in my awake time, or do anything remotely domestic, let's be absolutely clear about that. But for many years, when I was completely outnumbered by adorable babies, it was my only uninterrupted time.  So I would tiptoe to the computer in the middle of the night and write.  It was quiet, productive time and I quickly became addicted to my semi-nocturnal life.  My best creative hours were between 1am and 3:30am and I wasn't going to waste them sleeping.  Deep down I really did believe that baby singlet motto, 'Sleep is for the weak.'

Goodness knows what this kind of weird, staggered sleep does long term, but the research seems to link it to everything from weight gain to shorter life expectancy.  It certainly made some days seem endlessly long, and the nightly arsenic hour of bathing and feeding kids routinely coincided with a dose of bone-crushing exhaustion.

Anyway, I am now sleeping through the night.  Soundly and deeply. Like a baby as they say, although it must be noted, completely unlike any of my own perpetually-starving babies. Sleeping through is a complete revelation to me. After years of eating sugar to cope with exhaustion then sleeping badly as a result, then repeating it all the next day/night, I feel I have been set free.  And that is celebration enough for the end of my first month.

Sleep well,
Indigo Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment